Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Best Coins to Buy on Ebay

I've been collecting coins for a while, but unfortunately my collection is pretty small because I go through phases where I sell them all. Now when I sell them one of two things happens, either I get more than I paid for it or less than I paid for it. Why? Well because the price of gold and silver fluctuates heavily.

There seems to be few solutions to this problem.

1. Don't buy gold and silver coins. Instead by pennies and nickels.
Let's face it, that sounds pretty boring, I personally stick to silver since I can't really afford gold coins. See below for more.

2.  Buy only key date and semi-key date coins.
These have a lot more numismatic value than say a typical cleaned and worn 1943 Mercury Dime.

3. Buy only graded coins.
This is my favorite. Anything graded by PCGS, ANACS, NGC, or IGC is good. These coins tend to retain their value. Sure the prices fluctuate, but they don't depend so much on the price of gold and silver.

If you are interested in buying key date and semi key date coins, the best way to do this is first to get a few books. I own two, linked below. Yes they are expensive but they are really necessary if you want to make smart purchases on ebay.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these eBay tips for coins. Personally, I'd rather buy plain old silver and just store it in the bank or some other safe place. Silver is very cheap and many silver bars and rounds can be had for the low to mid $20s for an ounce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the advantage of buying ungraded cheap silver is that you can get it for close to spot of even at/below spot if you are lucky. I have lots of regular ungraded silver too.

    Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete